- The GUI is based on GTK+ 2, and supports unicode and antialiased fonts.
- Customizable Dashboard: Shows various information like speed, position, altitude...
- Sliding controls for preferred map scale.
- Units switchable between statute miles, nautical miles and kilometers.
- Supported languages: german, english, spanish, italian, dansk, dutch, turkish, hungarian, slovak, swedish, japanese and french.
- Autodetects screen size for automatic fitting.
- Keyboard Shortcuts for most used functions.
- Displays battery and temperature if supported by ACPI
- GpsDrive uses street maps from the OpenStreetMap project and satellite images from NASA Landsat, which are downloadable from the internet directly or with the included
- Also a local postgis database can be used to render maps on the fly from OpenstreetMap data with Mapnik.
- Furthermore you can import almost any kind of other maps or pictures with the included import assistant.
- Displayed maps are autoloaded depending on current position, speed, and zoom level.
- People connected to the same friendsd server can see each others' position on the map.
- Messages: You can send instant messages to other people on the same server.
Waypoints/Points of Interest:
- Points of Interest can be stored in a local SQLite database
- The POIs are drawn on the map with a icon depending on the type and a display filter.
- New POIs can be added with a mosueclick or a keyboard shortcut
- Bulk import and backup of POI data: The included
poi-manager.pl script lets you easily add waypoint data from a given GPX file.
Currently supported are GPX files from www.geocaching.com, www.opencaching.de, and www.fon.com.
- Additonal waypoints can be added using a plain text file (without using the database).
Routes and Tracks:
- Routes can be created using existing waypoints or by adding free routepoints via keyboard shortcut.
- The distance, direction and time to go for the destination is shown in the dashboard.
- Your track can be recorded and shown on the map.
- The current route or track can be exported to a GPX file
- Loading of a previously stored track or route is also possible.
- GpsDrive uses Speech Dispatcher speech output.
- Speech output is available in english, spanish and german.
- Speakable information: direction, speed, GPS status, distance to destination, battery level.
- Direct support for wardriving with Kismet(a WLAN detection tool).
Shows Wireless LAN (WLAN) access points on the map in realtime, including voice information about a new ones.
- Utilizes gpsd for connecting to your GPS device.
wpget: Script to read waypoints from GARMIN
- Simulator mode for testing without a GPS device: Select a waypoint and the position marker moves towards it.
- The program
gpsreplay replays your stored tracks
gpssmswatch sends your position back to the phone number which sends an SMS with the content "PLSSENDPOS" (needs a working "gnokii" installation).
- Runs also on Compaq iPAQ.
- License: GPL.
- Status: stable.